Director of Capacity Building -- Primary Health Care Project
|February 13, 2013 - March 31, 2013|
|Salary Range:||Competitive NonProfit Market Compensation Package|
|Benefits:||Competitive NonProfit Market Benefits Package|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Priority:||Conditional -- Funding|
|Description:||The Director of Capacity Building will provide leadership in capacity building activities for an anticipated primary health care project, emphasizing increased access to quality community based health care in Madagascar. Responsible for sustainably developing systems, capacity, and ownership of local partners, this position will monitor the timely achievement of related indicators, performance criteria, and benchmarks to ensure strengthened systems. Fostering collaborative working relationships with government officials of Madagascar, the Ministry of Health (MOH) and its related agencies, key stakeholders and international and local partners, this position will also maintain a collaborative relationship with USAID, ensuring activities and project targets are closely monitored. |
|Duties:||1. Provide leadership and overall responsibility for capacity building activities.|
2. Work with the Chief of Party and program officers to monitor progress of program objectives and maintain regular contact with staff and consultants by e-mail, telephone, and regular site visits as needed.
3. Serve as IMA’s representative to host country government, other donors and multinationals, technical agencies, and other participating organizations as required.
4. Develop programmatic and financial capacity of organizations for sustainability.
5. Manage implementation of capacity building exercises and work closely with local partners to develop solid understanding and ownership of systems.
6. Develop and coordinate all aspects of program training and provide ongoing mentorship and supervision to local partners.
7. Monitor program indicators and exercises and adapt activities as appropriate to achieve results.
8. Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork, and planning skills, with proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts in both the public and NGO sectors.
9. Other relevant tasks as assigned.
|Qualifications:||Required Training and Experience|
1. A minimum of Masters-level degree in economics, social sciences, management or business administration, public administration or a related field, preferably focused on capacity building.
2. A minimum of 7 years direct work experience in developing countries as a senior expert in training and capacity building required. Preference for experience working in the health sector.
3. Proven expertise in health systems strengthening, grants management, and developing the financial and functional capacity of organizations to improve sustainability and contribute to a vibrant, effective nongovernmental sector. Familiarity with a wide range of capacity building techniques.
4. Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork, and planning skills, with proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts in both the public and NGO sectors.
5. Demonstrated familiarity with and understanding of USAID regulations and policies and other donor requirements
6. Proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs and other donors.
7. Verbal and written French and English communications skills; Malagasy and knowledge of the region is an asset.
8. Experience supervising professional and support staff in a multicultural, multi-linguistic environment.
9. Cross-cultural sensitivity a must.
10. Ability to travel within the country or region and internationally as needed.
11. Willingness to support IMA’s mission.
Desired Skills and Attributes
1. Professional maturity– Maintains a positive outlook, motivates self and team to work constructively under pressure. Responds resourcefully when challenges arise and accepts responsibility for actions, learning and change. Arrives at work and appointments on time.
2. Analytical Thinking– Builds a logical approach to address problems or opportunities; manages the situation at hand by drawing on own knowledge and experience base and calling on other references and resources as necessary. Approaches analysis with an unbiased, impartial view.
3. Oral and Written Communication– Clearly and effectively expresses ideas, thoughts and concepts verbally and in written or graphic form, using correct and appropriate grammar, organization and structure, and effective presentation media and techniques. Uses appropriate media and approach to present ideas formally to individuals or groups with required impact.
4. Decision-Maker– Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills. Capable of directing and managing change, inspiring teamwork and high performing teams.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.