Chief Financial Officer -- Democratic Republic of Congo
|Salary Range:||Competitive NonProfit Market Compensation Package|
|Benefits:||Competitive NonProfit Market Benefits Package|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Priority:||Conditional -- Funding|
|Description:||The Chief Financial Officer will provide financial and operational management for an anticipated HIV/AIDS Care and Treatment project in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). This position is responsible for ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting and budgets as well as the management of all accounting, audits, procurement, and sub-award financial and compliance monitoring. Overseeing all aspects of financial systems, this position will be the primary liaison with the Chief of Party for financial and accounting matters and will ensure compliance with donor policies and procedures. The successful candidate will display an impeccable professional standard of finance ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with and donor policies and procedures. An ability to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information is essential.|
|Duties:||1. Enforce and use existing IMA systems for financial operations in in accordance with the IMA policies and procedures and donor regulations, including systems for cash flow management, budgeting, consolidation of accounting information, internal controls, financial reporting, financial record-keeping, grant management and compliance.|
2. Supervise support staff.
3. Maintain banking relations and plan and monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure smooth project implementation.
4. Provide monthly standard accounting submissions to IMA HQ, including general ledger files, account reconciliations, expenditures by cost center/project, required sub-grantee reporting, as well as other financial information in a timely and accurate manner.
5. Responsible for monthly cash reconciliation with IMA HQ.
6. Review financial reports, journals and transactions and liaise with management on a regular basis.
7. Provide monthly financial reports, including expenditures by budget category, sub-grantee reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner.
8. Develop annual fiscal year budgets with the Chief of Party and develop and implement grant budgeting and forecasting systems.
9. Perform internal audits and reviews as required to ensure compliance with IMA policies and donor requirements.
10. Effectively stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations; compile and update applicable local policies; and train program and partner staff in these policies.
11. Develop and maintain local office policies and procedures and provide training for all issues related to local financial and operational matters.
12. Co-sign all checks and transfers from project checking accounts.
13. Oversee and coordinate annual external audit as required, with a local, approved auditing firm.
14. Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting and compliance while providing additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
|Qualifications:||Required Training and Experience|
1. A minimum of master’s degree in public administration, financing, economics, accounting, or a related field.
2. A minimum of 8 years’ experience in financial and grants management, with a minimum of 5 years direct international work experience in developing countries with senior-level responsibility for administration and finance managing similar programs.
3. Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork, and planning skills, with proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts in both the public and NGO sectors.
4. Demonstrated familiarity with and understanding of USG donor rules and regulations governing financial compliance and contracts management.
5. Proven expertise in finance, accounting and auditing, including automated financial systems, as well as results-oriented grants management.
6. Proven expertise in financial planning, monitoring of grant compliance and management and the establishment of internal controls.
7. Experience in coordinating procurement systems and organizational of supply and distribution systems preferred.
8. Thorough knowledge of MS Excel and experience with accounting software is desired.
9. Excellent oral and written French and English skills.
10. Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation, analysis, financial reporting and presentation.
11. Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
12. Strong verbal and written French and English communications skills.
13. Experience supervising professional and support staff in a multicultural, multi-linguistic environment.
14. Cross-cultural sensitivity a must.
15. Ability to travel within the country or region and internationally as needed.
16. Willingness to support IMA’s mission.
Desired Skills and Attributes
1. Professional maturity – Maintains a positive outlook, motivates self and team to work constructively under pressure. Responds resourcefully when challenges arise and accepts responsibility for actions, learning and change. Arrives at work and appointments on time.
2. Analytical Thinking – Builds a logical approach to address problems or opportunities; manages the situation at hand by drawing on own knowledge and experience base and calling on other references and resources as necessary. Approaches analysis with an unbiased, impartial view.
3. Oral and Written Communication – Clearly and effectively expresses ideas, thoughts and concepts verbally and in written or graphic form, using correct and appropriate grammar, organization and structure, and effective presentation media and techniques. Uses appropriate media and approach to present ideas formally to individuals or groups with required impact.
4. Decision-Maker – Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills. Capable of directing and managing change, inspiring teamwork and high performing teams.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.